American sterling 950 silver presentation coffee pot with allover engine turned decorations, die rolled bands of decorations, a pomegranate filial and a fancy C scroll handle with ivory insulators.
Inscribed: Presented to Geo Gault by his late partners, Loomis Bullard, H. B. Shute, the pot is in excellent original condition, with no repairs or alterations. It sits on a spread foot, circular pedestal base.
We call this a coin silver pot, as it was made in the coin silver period of American silver production, even though the silver content is 950/100, as per the requirements of Ball Black & Co, the New York City, retailers of this wonderful piece.
This coffee pot was made by the firm of Eaton, Gordon and Bogert. More about them below.
In 1856 William Bogert left Forbes and moved to Newburgh, where he joined William R. Eaton and John Gordon (his father and brothers former apprentice and the husband of his niece Sarah) in the partnership of Eaton, Gordon, and Bogert, silversmiths. Their wares, marked "E G & B," were largely supplied to the retail jewelers Ball, Black and Company (successor in 1851 to Ball, Tompkins and Black) in New York City.
In 1860 Eaton retired from the partnership, which became Gordon and Bogert (with the mark "G & B"). That firm is listed in the 1860 Federal census of the products of industry as makers of silverware with nine male employees and $3,800 in capital, annually utilizing forty-five hundred ounces of coin-standard silver (900/1000) and an equal amount of pure silver (999/1000).
Interestingly, the average fineness of their silver, 950/1000, was the standard required by Ball, Black and Company for their silverware from the late 1850s to the early 1860s, suggesting that a great proportion, if not all, of Gordon and Bogertâ€²s production was for Ball, Black and Company Surviving examples suggest that the bulk of it was hollow ware.
Width from spout to the handle 11â€
Weight 32 ozs Troy